You’ve got taxes to file. But do-it-yourself software can be confusing — and some paid tax preparation services cost money you might not be able to spend. AARP Foundation Tax-Aide can help. Beginning February 1 and continuing through April 15, AARP Foundation is providing in-person tax assistance and preparation through its Tax-Aide program — and it’s completely free!
AARP Tax-Aide is the nation’s largest free, volunteer-run tax assistance and preparation service. It is available to taxpayers with low and moderate incomes and gives special attention to people age 60 and older. Tax-Aide volunteers are trained to assist with filing the 1040 Form and more standard schedules, including Schedules A and B. Taxpayers with complex tax returns are advised to seek paid tax assistance. Electronic filing (e-filing) is offered with no charge to the taxpayer. E-filing ensures more accurate tax returns and faster processing of tax refunds.
Please be sure to bring these documents with you to your appointment:
- copy of last year’s income tax returns
- W-2 forms from each employer
- unemployment compensation statements
- SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits
- all 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, etc.) showing interest and/or dividends and documentation showing original purchase price of assets sold
- 1099-misc. showing any miscellaneous income
- 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity
- all forms indicating federal income tax paid
- dependent care provider information (name, employer, ID, Social Security number)
- all receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions
- Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents
An appointment is required.
Location: Chester County Library in Exton – Struble Room
Please register for this program: Mondays, February 13, 20 and 27; March 6, 13, 20, and 27; and April 3 – 90 min. appointments from 12:00 until 4:30 pm. Please visit our online event calendar at chescolibraries.org/events and select Chester County Library Programs. You may also call the Reference Desk at 610-344-5957 to register.
Location: Henrietta Hankin Branch in Chester Springs – Community Room
Appointments are available on Thursdays and Fridays beginning on February 9th and continuing through April 14th. Taxes will be completed in person and registration is required. To make an appointment please visit https://bit.ly/HHB2023TaxApt or call 610-344-4196.