You’ve got taxes to file. But do-it-yourself software can be confusing — and some paid tax preparation services cost money you might not be able to spend. AARP Foundation Tax-Aide can help. Beginning in February and continuing through mid-April, the AARP Foundation provides in-person tax assistance and preparation through its Tax-Aide program — and it’s completely free!
AARP Tax-Aide is the nation’s largest free, volunteer-run tax assistance and preparation service. It is available to taxpayers with low and moderate incomes and gives special attention to people aged 60 and older. Tax-Aide volunteers are trained to assist with filing the 1040 Form and more standard schedules, including Schedules A and B. Taxpayers with complex tax returns, are advised to seek paid tax assistance. Electronic filing (e-filing) is offered at no charge to the taxpayer. E-filing ensures more accurate tax returns and faster processing of tax refunds.
Please be sure to bring these documents with you to your appointment:
- copy of last year’s income tax returns
- W-2 forms from each employer
- unemployment compensation statements
- SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits
- all 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, etc.) showing interest and/or dividends and documentation showing the original purchase price of assets sold
- 1099-misc. showing any miscellaneous income
- 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity
- all forms indicating federal income tax paid
- dependent care provider information (name, employer, ID, Social Security number)
- all receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions
- Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents
An appointment is required.
Location: Chester County Library in Exton – Struble Room
Please register for this program: Mondays, February 12, 19, and 26; March 4, 11, 18, and 25; and April 1. One-hour appointments from 9:30 am until 2:30 pm. Please visit our online event calendar and register for an appointment at https://bit.ly/CCL2024TaxApt. You may also call the Reference Desk at 610-344-5957 to register.
Location: Henrietta Hankin Branch in Chester Springs – Community Room
Appointments are available on Thursdays and Fridays beginning February 8th and continuing through April 12th. One-hour appointments from 10 am – 2:30 pm. Taxes will be completed in person and registration is required. To make an appointment please visit https://bit.ly/HHBTaxAARP2024 or call 610-344-4196.