TrueFlix is now available
TrueFlix is an award winning online resource that leverages the award-winning True Books content to help students hone literacy skills, build knowledge of subject-area content, and cultivate 21st Century skills through the inquiry process.
TrueFlix is now available in POWER Library! Offering dozens of units to supplement social studies and science core curricula learning, TrueFlix is a highly-engaging multimedia resource that can be used in the library, the classroom, on mobile devices, or at home.
Each TrueFlix title includes the following elements:
• Watch the Video: A streaming video that engages the student and introduces the topic. The video is strategically placed—and supported by reading research—to enable the student to build crucial background knowledge before accessing the book.
• Read the Book: A flipbook version of the True Book with page-turning and read-along features, chapter tabs, and vocabulary terms identified and defined. The “book” has been transformed into a versatile digital resource enabling the student to exercise the nonlinear reading and viewing behaviors that we know take place with digital content.
• Explore More: Related content that provides opportunities for further research and reading across a variety of text types. Includes one or more of the following: fiction, primary-source documents, related articles from Grolier Online. This section also helps students with a key competency—gathering and synthesizing accurate and related information in one place—a crucial 21st Century Skill.
• Lesson Plan: Every TrueFLIX topic is accompanied by a lesson plan with teaching activities that are tied to the specific content of that TrueFLIX topic. Every lesson plan includes a discussion of the TrueFLIX video and a review of vocabulary words used in the TrueFLIX flipbook. Each also provides a small-group activity based on the flipbook and a project idea.
• Project Idea: For beginning researchers, this includes a project goal and ideas or questions on how to kick-start research—perfect for a class activity or homework assignment.
• Activity Center: Includes a “Show What You Know” 10-question multiple-choice quiz, and a Word Match game based on the important words included in each title. Teachers and librarians can utilize the quizzes as soft assessments to gauge a student’s understanding of the content.
• Explore the Web: Related Web links to help further extend learning, broaden the content area, and provoke further research.